Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Would you keep your health comprimised child home from school if Swine surfaces in your town


Would you keep your health comprimised child home from school if Swine surfaces in your town?
Or have them wear a facemask?
Parenting - 21 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
absolutly she wouldnt even go outside
2 :
Yes, that would be the appropriate action. Hell, school is almost out anyway.
3 :
Yes (daycare)
4 :
They would miss school.
5 :
Absolutely, if the child's health is compromised in any way.
6 :
My grandsons won't walk out the door!!!
7 :
if they were truly health compromised yes, i'd do keep them home from school, and yes, possibly wear a face mask that was the correct one to wear.
8 :
Absolutely. Schools today seem to have a hard time keeping viruses and other things from spreading around school. I think my daughter and I would both be upset if she had to miss school so I might consider sending her in a mask and speaking to her teacher and the school nurse. However, if your child already has health issues I would definitely keep the child at home. The swine flu is even deadlier that the normal flu and young children (and elderly) are especially susceptible to both.
9 :
why a facemask? you do know that swine flu isn't airborne? yes, you can breath normally, no need to go buy a class 3 HAZMAT suit. just wash your hands, and try not to touch other people.
10 :
If my child had a history of catching every bug around, they would definitely stay home. I would not trust the mask to filter out all the germs. Now, personally, my two youngest hardly ever get sick. They seem to have pretty good immune systems. For them, I probably would be comfortable sending them to school and relying on a mask. I don't see it as over reacting, I see it as playing the "better safe than sorry" card.
11 :
Yes!!! Then again, I'm more than likely don't going ATM to get what I need. Its not even in my state yet. I think.
12 :
Face mask does NOT necessarily help to keep from getting swine flu. You are actually trapping germs in. It is recommended for people who ALREADY have it to stop it from spreading. And yes I would keep a health compromised child home. A healthy child no. But an already sickly child yes.
13 :
She would stay home. my husband and I are already making plans to adjust our schedules and keep her home full time if it reaches this area. I don't care what kind of leave we exhaust at work...her health is now and will always he our top priority.
14 :
my older daughter has severe asthma and her trigger is viruses. our school system just alerted us to the fact that some kids from the school had been in the affected area of Mexico over break, and that some other kids in our town had been in Central America over break and were reporting flu symptoms (but it's apparently regular flu season there so there's no particular reason to believe it's swine flu). i thought about it and sent her to school. i told her to wash her hands before eating. if someone in her school is actually diagosed with swine flu i'll consider it again. but i'm not keeping her home forever just in case. she could come home with any virus that could send her to the hospital any day. forgoing life to protect your life doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
15 :
No school for them
16 :
Yes, I would take her out of daycare if cases were found in our city. She's so suseptible to everything anyway, why take the risk
17 :
yes i would keep them home . we already have a case in our county.
18 :
If they were truly immunity compromised, yes, especially since this is a KNOWN strain of influenza that humans have no immunity to. We live in California less than 30 minutes away from where 1 of the known cases of Swine Flu has recently surfaced and I'm certain it will make it's way to our town, to my kids schools and the ER I work in...I have bumped up nutritional measures Known to heighten natural immunities for myself and my kids and I leave it at that. I'm not overly worried, there are Flu's that make their rounds every year that humans have no immunity to, we just aren't made as aware of those as we are being made aware of this one. Face Masks are minimally helpful at best...Wash, Wash, Wash your hands and don't touch your face, nose or mouth.
19 :
I would definitely keep my child home from school if their health was compromised at school. The swine flu seems to be a bacterial flu. Wash, wash, wash... Disinfect, wash again.
20 :
yes my 3 year old has a weak immune system he was just hospitalized last month just for having a stomach bug so he would be under lock and key and he would stay in the house I am already taking precautions no going out to eat no chuck e cheese no park no public restrooms and if we go shopping I wipe the cart handle with a clorox wipe and we are hand sanitizing to death I know I sound crazy but I don't think my son could fight such a bad illness off.
21 :
I would keep my very healthy child home. i would rather say, "wasn't that silly", rather then "boy I wish I had". I choose not to expose my child to something that might kill them.




Read more discussions :