Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cigarette Tax possibly funding Child Health Care


Cigarette Tax possibly funding Child Health Care?
Congress is trying to formulate a bill that will raise cigarette taxes to a dollar a pack, to fund child health care. States have raised cigarette taxes 73 times since the year 2000. Children should have health care when their family can't afford it, children are obviously the future, but how is it fair to tax the smokers again? If Congress feels so passionate about it then why don't they help fund it instead of going after other people? I don't think it's fair to target a group like that, and when they "phase out smoking" or whatever, who and what will they tax afterwards? Yes, I am a smoker, and a college student- I know the risks of smoking, trust me, my family has been smoking for the past 100 years, but if I want to I should be able to without being ridiculously overtaxed. When is enough enough, wasn't taxes an enormous issue when we broke away from England? I want your opinion, that is mine, enlighten me, and don't say it's bad for you health, so is other pollution... WASHINGTON - Congress is taking new whacks at the cigarette industry, banning tobacco sales in Senate buildings and — more importantly — seeking a significant federal tax increase on cigarettes . "I think the industry has tried to do things more quietly, largely because they obviously know how popular a tobacco tax is," said Ron Pollack, executive director of Families USA. The health advocacy group supports a proposed $35 billion increase in the State Children's Health Insurance Program, which a higher cigarette tax would finance. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071110/ap_on_go_co/tobacco_tax
Current Events - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My kids have health insurance. I get it where I work. I do pay for it but nothings free. There's very few job that don't offer health benefits. You will have to pay your fair share. It seems like the only people complaining about no heath insurance are the one who want it for free. I work hard for my health insurance and I don't want to pay for some freeloader on reliefs health plan too. Plus God help those who help themselves. Get a job.
2 :
they are going to tax smokers until everyone quits because they know we are of the lower income class to me its discrimination . i think if they taxed soft drinks then it would be a fair tax for everyone.
3 :
If the Americans think they have problems spare a thought to us poor Brits. A pack of cigarettes here cost an average of 11 dollars a pack, most of which is tax.
4 :
When everyone quits smoking, where will they get the funding? Raising the alcohol tax is next!




Read more discussions :