Monday, September 24, 2012

Am I LEGALLY required to keep my child on my employer's health insurance when she turns 18


Am I LEGALLY required to keep my child on my employer's health insurance when she turns 18?
I'm from Wisconsin. My daughter is pregnant. She is 17. Her due date is January 24, 2007. She turns 18 on February 28, 2007. Am I legally required to keep her under my employer health insurance after she turns 18? She does have other coverage, but right now it is secondary (she's the only one in the family who has it-and it doesn't cost me anything). My insurer would cover her until age 19 if she is a student, but I was just wondering if I am legally required to keep her on it until 19 even though she will be an adult.
Other - Health - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yes i would do that. but it is optional to do so and not LEGALLY BINDING BUT wouldnt u wanna morally help?? com'on what u gonna lose?
2 :
Nope. She becomes an adult at 18 and you are not required to provide her anything.
3 :
Noooooo...... most definatly not, you wouldnt even legally be required to ensure at age 7, but of course most sane, moral parents would. And it would just be more money you would have to chuck out of pocket. No once she is an adult she is done on her own, and its your choice from there. This is U.S. law.
4 :
You are not reqired to keep anyone over the age of 18 on your employer's health insurance. Your health insurance should have an open enrollment period once a year, usually in December, where you are able to make changes to your coverage. If you chose to, you would be able to take her off your insurance at this time even though she is not 18 yet. Once she turns 18, even if it is not during an open enrollment period, you will be able to take her off because of her change in status, which would be her turning 18.
5 :
She does not have a legal right to medical care (except emergency care through an ER, of course) or insurance. UNLESS you have a child support order or something similar where the courts are requiring you to provide her with insurance, you could actually drop her now. If she has other coverage and it will cover the cost of the child's care and your daughter's delivery and care, save yourself the money and use it to spoil the new grandbaby! ~Morg~





Read more discussions :