Wednesday, August 24, 2011

mental health child custody


mental health child custody?
The mother of my 6 year old child has been taken into hospital after a mental health relapse - she has been sectioned after a bad episode. She has been ill since before my child was born over 6 years ago with bipolar/depression related illness'. With the blessing of her family I have assumed full custody of my child until she is released from hospital, a recovery will not happen overnight as she had stopped taking her medication and needs to rebuild etc. She is a very good Mum whom I currently share unooficial custody with but I am concerned that she will demand her back full time as soon as she feels better, gven that this could put my child "at risk", I would like some advice please - should I involve social services in case this scenraio arises? should I take legal advice? would I be granted temporary full custody in any case? Any advice appreciated.
Mental Health - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would go and talk to a lawyer and see what your rights are and what you should do. You have to do what is in the best interest of the child.
2 :
If she demands full custody then take her to court. There is no way that she will be granted full custody. But court can be messy and cause the mother unnecessary trauma so try to resolve things between each other. Suggest joint custody until she is back on her feet




Read more discussions :