Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mental health child custody


Mental health child custody?
The mother of my 6 year old child has been taken into hospital after a mental health relapse - she has been sectioned after a bad episode. She has been ill since before my child was born over 6 years ago with bipolar/depression related illness'. With the blessing of her family I have assumed full custody of my child until she is released from hospital, a recovery will not happen overnight as she had stopped taking her medication and needs to rebuild etc. She is a very good Mum whom I currently share unooficial custody with but I am concerned that she will demand her back full time as soon as she feels better, gven that this could put my child "at risk", I would like some advice please - should I involve social services in case this scenraio arises? should I take legal advice? would I be granted temporary full custody in any case? Any advice appreciated.
Other - Family & Relationships - 2 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You need to keep your child AWAY from her until she is "better"
2 :
Go to court and make an emergency Motion for Custody. However, if you weren't married this may be a challenge unless you've had a DNA test or are on the birth certificate. I'm not sure how long a Section lasts; in the States it can be as little as 72 hours. She can demand return of the child the minute she's out of the hospital if you don't get a court order.




Read more discussions :