Monday, December 28, 2009

Can an adopted child get their birth parents' health history








Can an adopted child get their birth parents' health history?
I was adopted at birth, I'm now 21 and have a lot of health issues. I don't have any health history at all from my birth parents and am wondering if I even have a legal chance of getting it. Knowing my birth families health history could really help me. Does anyone know how to obtain records? I understand that probably the best way is to go straight to the source; my birth parents. But I do not want to contact them at all let alone speak to them. I'm asking if there is anyway without just tracking my mother down and talking to her.
Adoption - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That depends on the state you live in. many states have closed adoption records. I would contact the county clerk in the county you were born in and ask them what paperwork you can legally get. It varies greatly.
2 :
You can always contact the adoption agency and see if they can give you your real parents names. The best way to find out would be to find them and ask them yourself
3 :
It all depends on your state. A word about health history- when you contact the agency, they WILL give you your medical history. BUT- it's as old as you are, and it's pretty much useless. Medical histories change frequently. Let me know which state you were born and adopted in, and maybe I can help you. The only way is to get their names and contact them. I had cancer when I was 34, so my history was extremely important, as EVERYONE'S is. Unfortunately, the government discriminates against adoptees with closed records.
4 :
You can get it, but it may not be very helpful. Remember than any medical information taken from your biological parents is now 21 years out of date. Multiple conditions could have developed in them since then. The best way to learn your medical history is to conduct a search and contact them directly. When I found my birthmom, I learned that her dad did not die of a heart attack as was listed in my "non-identifying information", but of a blood clot that went to his heart - big difference, medically speaking. I also learned that her sister had breast cancer - something that couldn't have been in my medical information when I was born as it hadn't yet happened. Wishing you well.
5 :
Contacting the agency could help, but getting your natural parents' names and contacting them is the best way to get medical history. Families share medical history directly....person to person. Some relatives talk to each other, and other relatives never talk to each other at all. It has only been within the past 20 or so years that genetic information has become available for people to understand. Most families didn't know the role of heredity in medical conditions until very recently. There is little to no medical information in the typical adoptive file, from 20 or more years ago. But, some natural parents will sometimes volunteer an updated history, so it is worth it to ask the agency first. There may be some information there.
6 :
Some States have a medical information registry where a mother can submit updated medical information for the adopted person. One example is: http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/adoption.htm
7 :
It's not your *birth* family, it's just your family. It obviously didn't end at birth--you have health problems. The only way you'll ever know is to find them and ask them yourself.
8 :
I can tell you that if it was a closed adoption, you will have a hard time getting it. Some birthmothers give information and others do not. To be honest, you cannot really go by the non-identifying information. Not all birthmothers gave accurate information especially during the year you were born. Social workers ask, but the info is only as good as what the mothers give them. They have to take their word for it. The only way to get accurate info is to talk to the biological families yourself. I know what you're going through. I hope one day they will stop all of this secrecy. Don't give up. Good luck!






Read more discussions :