Monday, November 8, 2010

Who do I listen to... doctor vs maternal and child health nurse


Who do I listen to... doctor vs maternal and child health nurse??
Sorry if this is a bit long but here goes... Here in Australia we have what is called a maternal and child health nurse (MCHN) that we go to for regular visits. Not sure if it is the same elsewhere. My daughter is 6 months and we saw the MCHN weekly to start with then it gradually gets less frequent. A few months ago I tried my daughter on a little bit of formula (exclusively breast fed until then) and she did not tolerate it (vomiting and blood in diarrhea). I was told that she is most likely dairy intolerant but that it is likely to resolve. Since then, I have removed all dairy from my diet which has definitely made me little girl happier and her weight gain was more appropriate. My daughter also started on solids about 2 months ago and eagerly has 3 meals per day after a breast feed. About 2 weeks ago she became really constipated so I tried altering her diet (no rice cereal, more pears etc). I saw the MCHN last thursday and asked her when and how I should reintroduce dairy (should I slowly introduce it into my diet or wait until my daughter is older and try it in her diet then) and she said I might as well try her on a little bit of cow's milk now (just a bit on her cereal) and that the worst thing it will do is help the constipation. Within 2 days, she had diarhhea which wasn't surprising but she wasn't irritable and didn't seem to have an upset tummy. I stopped the milk and she became constipated again. I've also started giving her natural yoghurt and that hasn't given her diarhhea yet (3 days so far) Yesterday I took her to the doc who looked at me incrediously when I told her what the MCHN had said and she also basically scoffed at me when I said she had been on solids for about 2 months. Everything she said to me was in a tone like (duh, why don't you know this?). She said absolutely NO dairy until Lucy is 1 year. I tried to explain about the yoghurt and she just talked over the top of me. She gave me some information on relieving the constipation which I am trying. I'm just a bit confused about the differing advice. I know that the doctor had more years of study but she doesn't really know my daughter whereas the MCHN has seen her probably about 20 times in the last 6 months. I also don't know if I am overreacting. Any advice on who I should listen to and why? Oh... the MCHN also told me to wait before introducing wheat but the doc wants me to give her weet-bix now???
Newborn & Baby - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It sounds like the health nurse knows what she is talking about. Your baby might be milk intolerant for the rest of her life though, that's how it started with my sister. But if you do want to start on formula you can look into a potato based formula, that's what my sister had to use. And for cows milk you should try Lactaid and see how that works with her system. Good luck with your baby.
2 :
Generally dairy is not introduced until 10 - 12 months. Also dairy usually makes constipation worse. Don't let the doctor make you feel stupid... you were following the advise of a trusted professional. Dairy is hard to digest and should not be introduced at a young age. (but many have done it anyway for many many generations). Now they say to wait until a year. I don't know why your MCHN told you this, she must have her reasons or maybe her training is old? Anyway, don't let the doctor make you feel bad! Follow your instincts and do research online on both view points if you are still uncomfortable. I don't think you will find much to advocate giving dairy to a baby though. I find that babies easily become constipated when introducing solids and they often poop considerablely less.... I gave my son apple sauce or prune juice and that cleared him right out.
3 :
so many months and weeks in your post I'm alittle confusd but I think you say your daughter is only six months old standard here in the US is to wait till 1 year to introduce cows milk so if I read your post correctly I would say your nurse is wrong and your doctor is correct your daughter should be on Formula or breast for milk up to a year at six months you can introduce solids rice or wheat cereal mixed with breast milk or formula. I'm not familiar with weet-bix but if it like rice cereal than it should be fine edit four months is alittle early for introducing solids and its more likely your daughter just isn't ready for that much solids yet. each child is different i would back off on the solids a little and keep it very simple




Read more discussions :