Sunday, April 4, 2010

Can someone with a Mental Health problem foster a Child



 



Can someone with a Mental Health problem foster a Child?
Yes it would be discrimination it's like saying can a black person foster etc. I am closly souperviser (I am Bipolar) on the right medications and see my theropist every week! I have worked with children for the most part of my life! I also have a clean slate with the police!
Mental Health - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i would not think so.
2 :
I don't think so but it also may depend on what the mental problem is.
3 :
Maybe? Can not say yes nor no. Because that could be discrimination. So I would say as long as they are fully medicated and seeing a doctor for checkups. I would say why not? But that's my own opinion.
4 :
I'm schizophrenic but I'm very careful on my meds and kids love me.My neices and I throw big partys with water fights and pinatas and we have great fun. The come to me about problems,We talk about their hairstyles freinds and I take them shopping I would love a kid but I think it would be considered a roadblock. I hope you find out.Id like to know.
5 :
Child Protective Services (or its equivalent) does what is called a home study of potential foster or adoptive parents. It's just what it sounds like - they visit you at home and interview you. Sometimes, depending on the circumstances, law guardians (court appointed attorneys whose purpose is to look out for the best interests of the child) get involved. Bottom line, If you "pass" the home study, then you can foster or adopt.
6 :
I suppose it would depend on the severity of the illness and whether or not it was being properly treated. Evaluations would be done not only on the potential foster parent but the foster home, environment, etc... In all cases, the safety and wellness of the children comes first and those factors must be determined based on a case by case basis. I personally believe there are many adults living with "disorders" that would make exceptional parents.
7 :
Yes. A friend of mine has bipolar disorder and she was a foster mother once. A criminal record is another matter.
8 :
To answer your question. I am bipolar to and I have four kids. I had to give them to my family for a short time due to I had to get my mental health in order. Once that was done I went to get my kids back. I had to go to court to do it and I was honest about the whole story. I too have a clean record. In the end the judge ruled in favor of my family due to the fact he felt the children would be better off financially. Come to fine it was moreless based on the fact my parents were NOT mentally ill. The point once you have been LABELED it is hard to get that off your record. You may be the sweetest person, kind hearted and go to church every Sunday with a great paying job, but once the state finds out you have a mental back ground they 9 out of 10 will not favor you being a foster parent. I looked into it about a year ago. I am sorry to say this. I hope this helps.




Read more discussions :