Tuesday, June 1, 2010

what is a good way to feed a picky child a health(packed) school lunch


what is a good way to feed a picky child a health(packed) school lunch?
I have a freind who's child is Very picky and she need some good ideas on what to send to school lunch with him
Family - 12 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
just tell them its no good for them and they will love it
2 :
well, you can always sneak a little of something in his sandwich, he won't even notice. say if he doesn't like celery, well if he likes tuna, make him a tuna salad sandwich, chop up the celery reall good, put the celery with tuna together and mayo, he won't know there's celery in it.
3 :
I'M A DAY CARE PROVIDER AND I WOULD SUGGEST THINGS LIKE RAISINS,APPLES,FRUIT ANY KIND,PEANUT BUTTER SAND,WITH MARSH MELLOW OR HONEY ON IT,APPLE BUTTER SAND,,THEIR ARE LOTS OF HEALTHY THINGS OUT THERE YOU MAY HAVE TO READ THE LABEL BUT I JUST FOUND OUT TODAY THAT THE OH FAMOUS SCABBY SNACK THE MY KIDS LIKE ARE A GOOD SOURCE OF CALCIUM
4 :
put carrot sticks and ranch in there. maybe put a granola bar or sumthing like that. put apples or grapes either one is good.
5 :
Ferero Roche might help... at least it could boost up he's morale for having any lunch...
6 :
try something healthy like cut up apples...with carmeal dip. try all kinds of fruit...even if its weird looking.
7 :
I WAS this picky child many years ago! I was a horrible eater - if it looked or smelled funny, I wouldn't give it a second look. My mother tried some creative ways to get me to eat more foods, and some of the actually worked well: ~If you make your child a sandwich, cut it into a fun shape. For example, a heart or a star. It's quick, easy, and your child will be more excited to eat their lunch if he/she knows what a special sandwich they get to have. ~There are fun child's snacks that can still be healthy. You can also use substitutions for certain foods that a pciky eater may cling to. For example, instead of Oreo cookies, try Animal Crackers or even the reduced fat version of Oreos...99% of the time, the child will not know the difference and you will still be able to provide them a healthy alternative. ~ In order to get kids to eat their fruits and veggies, try offering sliced pieces with a dip/dipping sauce. This makes it seem more appealing to a picky eater - combine something they may be hesitant of with something you know they like. For example, serve sliced apples with peanut butter for dipping; serve watermelon or cantelope with a flavored/kids yogurt; you can even do healthy snackfoods with an appealing dip - i.e. pretzel rods with melted chocolate chips (to make a dip). These are some ideas that helped me as a kid. Don't worry, kids grow out of this phase - I try lots of things and I am not fussy with food anymore (to a point! lol). I hope this helped you. Best of luck! :)
8 :
I also have a picky eater. What I do is take him to the store with me and we pick things out together. If kids have a part of deciding it is more likely not to be thrown away or given to another kid (trust me they do that). They might try and encourage their child to pick up so healthy things by letting them get somethings that maybe aren't there first pick. Like two healthy choices and one small snack that is not totally healthy. I think this helps to promote good choices later on. Good luck.
9 :
My son was VERY picky when he was little, to the point that I took him to the pediatrician. The doctor told me that little kids crave what their bodies need, and that over a period of time (say, a couple of weeks) they'll actually eat a fairly balanced diet. So, as long as she's not packing his lunch solely with junk food, she shouldn't be too worried. My son liked apple slices with peanut butter or caramel, and carrot sticks. Sometimes. He did go through a very long period of time where he had to have exactly the same lunch, no variations. It was pb&j, 3 Oreos, and a vanilla pudding cup. Now he doesn't eat sweets. Go figure. :)
10 :
Sit him down and have him help make a list of what he likes. Then make a list of what she likes. Then tell him, okay, now for every two we pick from your list, we pick one from my list. Give him an incentive!
11 :
You should have started your child out eating healthy then it would not be a problem.
12 :
Well I guess it depends on the childs, likes and dislikes. My son was also very picky (but is outgrowing it slowly). I would pack things that he liked at the time, and though some of them may not seem very nutritious, it had to be better than some of these lousy school lunches they are calling food and serving our kids. Anyway, I would give him mini carrot sticks and peanut butter (with honey), sometimes Vienna sausages or a Hot dog, pickles, and a sliced Apple, a small bottle of water or Whole Milk. Like I said, it may not sound very healthy, but it is better than them NOT eating all day and come home starving. Good Luck!






Read more discussions :