Monday, May 24, 2010

Can someone use honey too much? What about a child? Does honey have any health benefits


Can someone use honey too much? What about a child? Does honey have any health benefits?
My daughter loves honey, I didn't like her having sugary oatmeal and tea, so I put honey in it in place of refined sugar. Well, my mother recently told me she thinks I give my daughter too much honey. She said it can make her sick. I was wondering if there is any truth to that. Also, are there any health benefits to eating honey? (I know its better for you than refined sugar, but thats all I know about it.) Thanks! FYI: She has about 3 tablespoons (give or take a little) of honey a day between her tea, oatmeal and toast.
Other - Food & Drink - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Nope Just contains alot of Sugar wouldnt consider giving it to a child under the age of 5 Can choke easily better off mixing it with somthing. Thanks
2 :
Children under 2 should not eat honey because of botulism. Honey has many medical benefits for adults, but people should brush their teeth after they eat it. There are many different varieties of honey (depending on what plants were close to the bee hive).
3 :
If your daughter is under 14 months old, then honey can be harmful, but otherwise, it is healthful and delicious. Local honey can build up resistance to allergies from local plants. It can stave off sickness, and gives a person way more energy throughout the day. I kept a pot of honey in my dorm room last year, and mixing it with my morning tea definitely helped me to stay alert (and awake) throughout the day. Of course, there's such thing as too much of anything; it is rich, so honey can make you nauseous in huge amounts, but 3 tablespoons per day will do nothing for your daughter but improve her health! Grandmothers have to worry and nag. It's in their job description. :-) EDIT: I forgot to mention, my mother raised me on honey instead of sugar as well, since my dad has hypoglycemia and can't have sugar, and she wanted the entire family to eat the same things. I'm pretty sure that this is why my sisters and I have such high metabolisms; we've all always been really skinny. But, when a couple of them got places of their own and started cooking with sugar, their metabolisms slowed down a good bit. Could be unrelated, but you never know... :-)
4 :
Honey isn't bad for kids if it's dissolved. Since it can be thick then it can choke a child so be careful when giving it to her. Locally harvested honey is good for kids because the bees that made it also came in contact with the local pollen. If a child eats local honey then that child is less likely to develop allergies to the local pollen. Don't take my word for it, though. Ask a doctor. 3 tbsp isn't bad....it's way less than what most kids eat in their regular food each day when you consider soda pop, candy, presweetened cereals.... Sounds like you are a wonderful parent.
5 :
It is my understanding that honey has antibacterial properties, and I also understand that you should buy honey from a local farmers market and it will help you with allergies because it will contain some of the trees and flowers that aggravate allergies. Honey sold in stores is not good for you, because they heat it up and it does something weird like kills enzymes that help make honey healthy these enzymes boost you immune system. So just get unfiltered honey from a farmers market in your area. In a way I guess your mom is right sorta, cause the honey that is from the store will do no good and I guess you might as well use sugar. But it won't make her sick. You can also put honey on burns and cuts. The Egyptians did this centuries ago. Funny what was old is now the new.






Read more discussions :