Sunday, November 4, 2012

My ex-wife has contacted the DHS even though I pay child support and provide health insurance for my kids


My ex-wife has contacted the DHS even though I pay child support and provide health insurance for my kids?
I got a message from my ex-wife that she needs a letter from me stating how much I pay in child support so that she and the kids can get Tenncare. She is telling me that she "had to agree to let them go after me for health insurance on the kids", but that it should not matter since I already provide it. I am getting the feeling that she is trying to pull a fast one. If I already have court-ordered child support in place, can the DHC just change the amount without a hearing or without me being there? I am currently deployed to Iraq at the moment, and will not be home for a few more months.
Marriage & Divorce - 5 Answers    






Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Don't give her anything. If you already have a child support order in place, and you already have health insurance for the kids you don't have to do anything more. Don't send her a letter for anything because she is trying to go against the court order. Also don't sign anything unless you bring it to your lawyer first, and your lawyer says it's ok to sign. She is trying to pull a fast one one you, and it's a real shame that she is taking advantage of you while you are in Iraq. Don't pay her any mind, and continue doing things as the court order states
2 :
The kids are military kids, they are covered. Why on earth would she need Tenncare???? She can show her divorce decree showing how much she receives in child support monthly. I'm sure there is other proof of child support payments (i.e. bank statements - direct deposit or copies of checks, etc.). It's her problem, let her figure it out until you return. The kids are covered. She just needs to get to the military base for their care, if it's an emergency you can go to any hospital.
3 :
I agree with the other two. Keep all information to yourself and if there is already a court order in place then nothing can happen without a hearing. They won't have a hearing if you aren't in the country. If you're still not sure what to do, consult an attorney or one you may have used for your first court order. Good Luck with this and with your deployment. God Bless
4 :
OK I was in the same boat guy so first of all i feel for you. DHS does require a letter stating how much you make. The reason is to determine the amount of medical coverage children can receive. being you are in the military and deployed I would highly recommend that you send the information to your ex as it will be a lot easier for her to have the additional medical off post as well as on post. The kids are the most important thing here always remember that. Only send your ex what information she needs and try if you can not to give to much but remember also you were married and she probably all ready knows a lot of the information needed and would have got you all ready. Good luck God Bless and stay safe.
5 :
I would contact your lawyer and get legal advice that way, rather than through these boards. This is serious and could get ugly fast.


Read more discussions :