Thursday, March 20, 2008

I want to be a child health advocate, what do I need



I want to be a child health advocate, what do I need?
Now, I dont want this as a career. I want to volunteer. I want to go around to local highschools and teach to them. I am still somewhat young (25). Dont you remember all those guest speakers you had in school? I want to teach them about AIDS, sex, pregnany, Love, STDS, All sorts of things that kids nowadays usually ignore. Do I need any special certification??
Community Service - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yes, no position (even volunteer) allows you to be around children in a school setting with no training alot of those people aren't volunteers and they have majored in speech or sociology
2 :
A class in health & human services may come in handy, but a formal degree is not needed. Most child advocates are volunteers, and require minimal training. Volunteers need to possess a genuine interest in the well-being of children as well as other vital interpersonal skills, such as good communication skills Court-appointed advocate volunteers need to be objective, responsible, and committed. Most advocacy groups specialize in some specific aspect of children's needs, focusing on children with special health needs, for instance, or working to provide comprehensive health care for all children, including therapeutic and rehabilitative services, psychological treatment for the trauma of abuse, or necessary appliances such as eyeglasses. They might provide the parents of children with disabilities with information, assistance support, or all of these. Some child advocates are individuals who are appointed by a juvenile court judge. They work with the court system to prevent abuse, or to place neglected or abused children in a safe living environment, such as a foster home.
3 :
contact your local Planned Parenthood. here in LA they have groups of adults who do exactly what you seek. I myself was a volunteer for several years, going around to high schools to talk about all that stuff. you're trained in how to deal with all situations and people, as well as the facts. It's great fun, but you have to be available during regular school hours and not renege on your commitments. I liked it and then got a job that didn't allow for it. please contact me if you live in the LA area and want contact info. thanks.



Read more discussions :